1. Compare, read and eat knowledge!
Check all important components – demand on good and highdefinition pictures!
– polished? look on the edges, compare with other
– caseback ok?
– serial and case reference good to see?
Serial and case reference must fit. Please just ask.
Crown and Pushers
– genuine and fitting to the watch?
– crown with Heuershield?
– colors ok? Should fit with the reference and not be repainted
– indices ok? check all lumen on it
– digs or dents?
– Heuershield ok?
– genuine to the reference? shape and lumen, stop-second and countdown on the subdial must fit!
– color ok? faded? repainted?
– lumen ok?
– genuine? compare with aftermarket!
– right on to reference?
– wind up the watch or shake the automatics – should run!
– test the chronograph function: start, stop – countdown works right?
– if possible: timing machine to show the differences to the optimum
– last service known? any signs in the caseback inside?
– look inside!
– rust is a no go!
– bridge signed?
– looks clean?
– screwheads good or worn out?
– bracelet or strap included?
2. Find out prices, ask known collectors.
– watch the market (ebay, watch-shops, watch-fairs)
– ask friends and collectors without fear that they snap away the bargain! Four eyes see more then two!
– the golden rule: “Patience is the key!”
3. Organize the sale, how to pay, how to transport.
– If the watch is OK: fix the deal.
– Best way: personal meeting. look, feel, haptics and feeling for the seller
– If the deal is “virtual” – ask for references!
– Is the description of the condition of the watch fair and good?
– If it isn´t far away use insured transfer via Fedex or UPS. Depends on the countries!
– Demand on a delivery with a trace!
– Try to deal the delivery fifty-fifty. Good guys will do that.
– Do the money transfer via Bank transfer. The name should fit the bank data.
– If using paypal: the paypal account should fit the email or name.
Foreign countries question:
– Is the seller real? Try to phone the seller, to see that he is ok.
– Is the email ok? Is he answering you questions right?
– What customs or taxes are to pay?